Sunday, February 11, 2018

Two Sermon Series

Today Vance preached the second sermon of this two sermon series, the first on "Internally Strong," and the second on "Externally Focused." I met with Vance and also with Council to plan out the coordination of (what I call in my mind) the Hineni Movement. I've created a 15 minute presentation to outline the plan so far. Vance has begun the movement with his sermon series.

It's been great to have the enthusiastic support of Vance and the Council. We had the following piece in the bulletin today, and also in the e-newsletter ("Church Connection") this past week. One person after church told me they thought it was very well written and said she would support me in prayer and as much as she could. Another friend expressed regret she would not be here next week when I make the presentation. I wonder what other people think.

In one of our earliest discussions about this, Vance said, "These are the kinds of conversations we need to have." Today in his sermon he said, "We could say, 'Woe is us,' or we can say, 'What do we do now?'" That sentiment has given me lots of food for thought.

Sometimes I feel like saying, "Woe is us." Randy and I have attended the church since 1978. We were a part of the church's "heyday," when the pews were full and there were lots of members. During the '80's as our children grew up, I was happy that my kids were growing up in "a small town in the middle of a big city." They went to the Christian school, lots of that school's teachers, staff, and other children went to our church, and it felt like a real example of the 3 spheres working together -- church, school, and home.

I still feel blessed by that time, and grateful for the love of my church family and school community. I thank God that they were our extended family. (Randy's family is in Michigan, mine in Washington.) But, like all of us I'm sure, I sometimes remember that time and it is tempting to say, "Woe is us." Now we're a church where our attendance typically hovers around 50. It's difficult to get enough volunteers just to cover the ministries we have on Sundays -- leading worship, Sunday School, sound and Power Point, and so on -- let alone week night ministries. Back in the day we had Calvinettes -- now GEMS -- and Cadets and a Jr. and Sr. High group. We were able to have pretty big productions with our children at Christmas -- including extra practices on Saturdays. Now, we tend to schedule everything on Sundays because that seems to be the only time we can get together. So, yes, woe is us.

But it was good to hear a gentle word about what kind of conversations we need to have. We need to ask, "What do we do next?" "What are we good at?" "What is our next step?" That's what hineni is all about. Here we are, Lord, ready and willing to do your will.

Hineni at San Jose CRC
by Mavis Moon

“Hineni” - ever heard of it? In Hebrew, the phrase "Here I am" is "hineni" -- pronounced he-nay-nee. Hineni means more than just "I am here" or "I am present." When they're taking roll in the Yeshiva (a Jewish school) there's a different word for "here" or "present" -- poh. Hineni means "I am here, willing and ready to take on the mission you give me."

There is a theme in the Bible of God's people saying “Hineni,” or "Here I am." When God appeared to Moses in the burning bush, Moses said, "Here I am." When God called Samuel in the middle of the night, Eli told him to say, "Here I am." When God spoke to Abraham, Abraham said, "Here I am." These words are used by God's people when God calls them and gives them a specific instruction, or mission, or assignment.

Each time God calls and the people answer "Here I am," God gives them a direction for the future. Our church is in a "Hineni" moment. God is calling us and has a mission for our future. What does willing and ready mean? What is San Jose CRC’s mission?

We will be starting a sort of grassroots movement to explore that question together -- What does God want for San Jose CRC’s future? Council has asked that I join them in leading this effort. We’ll be giving more details soon. The basic plan is:

Together become internally strong:

  • Form a Hineni team that will meet together to pray, and to become even more of a real church family, a true community.
  • Not just that team, but all of us, will deepen our relationship to each other and God through prayer and listening for God’s voice.
Together become externally focused:
  • Study, pray, and listen to discern how God is leading us to deepen our relationships with our neighbors.
Everyone -- really, everyone - is invited to be part of the Hineni team -- old or young, official member or not, planning to remain a member for years to come or planning to move, whatever and whoever. The entire church family will be involved during our Hineni time. The team will give updates and opportunities for prayer support, study, giving ideas and encouragement, and so on. Stay tuned for more details -- and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You cried when I went to the hospital

Photo by  Kaboompics .com  from  Pexels I come from a family of 4 children. The youngest in the family, my sister Jan, contracted spinal...